Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Chapter 1.1: My digital life

So here we go, chapter one!

An opening, also a very brief idea about my digital life. Who I am is not very important in this blog. My background maybe very similar to yours. I am a student studying English at the moment, at the same time I am very interested in the new media. This is also the main reason why I took the course "writing for the new media" as some of you know already this is not a required core course. What I think I can learn from this course is the chance to experience the new media and compare the differences between new media and the traditional type of media. Also, I am currently working on the projects related to new media, I want to work and learn at the same time as to enhance knowledge from both sides.

Just like most of you, I make use of the new media frequently. Facebook, Twitter, google+, MySpace (I seem a bit old for this), foursquare, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Blogger.... There are just too many.

I have a different view for using these social media, there are different affordances and constraints for each genre. People use it because it means something to them. For example, Facebook, I do not use internet to grab attention. But for some people, they get on Facebook just to see how many "likes" and comments they could get! I am not saying using Facebook is bad, I just see Facebook differently and I actually like using Facebook. One easy example is, you can make use of Facebook for group projects meeting, exchange folders and opinion through Facebook. Or there is a new function from google plus called the "hangouts" which obviously has the video conferencing functions that allows us to have business meeting. Social media plays a very important role in society, it's not only for fun anymore, it is now approaching to its best business model.

It's wonderful day! I hope everyone will have a good night! (:

Jennie <3

Come and visit one of my favorite local sites - HK Magazine

6 comments:

Oh yes, some people just like to use facebook to get the attention of others!!

I agree with you that facebook makes our lives easier, be that socially or academically. Indeed, my perception is that, this good-for-sharing social platform has made everyone more outspoken and receptive, as using the platform to communicate is less direct than suggesting ideas in face-to-face situation. Thus, facebook avoids potential embarrassment.

Yet I doubt if such social media would be a good mode of communication in the business world, seeing that facebook cannot guarantee instant response from the parties concerned.

I have never tried having video conferences with others through Google+! Must be fun! Thank you for telling us!

By the way, I like the layout of your blog A LOT!! :)

Ray, I know right! so many attention seekers out there! I am glad that we are not part of them!! (:

I like your comment that "Social media plays a very important role in society, it's not only for fun anymore, it is now approaching to its best business model", it raises interesting issues about use of language and other forms of expression in Facebook. You might like to take a look at some of the corporate Facebook pages (e.g. Coca Cola) and consider how they attempt to use language (and other forms of representation) in order to connect with their customers.

Christoph:

This is very interesting to look at, social media is really worth analyzing nowadays. There are even talks and conferences just talking about how to make use of the social media to boost sales or building brand images. I went to a conference before, it was talking about how social media helped NGOs, one example is the MSF, one of their campaigns - like for one dollar. Every like by facebook users, the sponsor would donate one US dollar to help the children in need. It works very well, and drives traffic to MSF homepage on facebook. I think this will be something I am going to look at later on.

Post a Comment